Your most frequently asked questions, humbly and honestly answered by Habit Founder Aja.
If you have a question that is not answered here or elsewhere on our site, please email us here!
1. Where do you ship?
Everywhere the post office does!
2. What are your shipping rates?
Shipping is free for domestic orders $60 and over.
For domestic orders under $60, shipping is $8.
For all international orders, shipping is $40.
For order processing, please allow 2 business days.
3. Is your nail polish/makeup made with ethically mined mica?
4. My nail polish chipped! What happened? What should I do?
We work with an amazing manufacturer to produce our nail polish and we usually hear that the wear time is excellent (just check out our reviews!). But your polish can chip, especially if you tend to use your nails as tools, or if you don't know the mani care secrets! There are a few different ways to make sure that your manicure lasts as long as possible, so here are some tips on how you can get the most wear out of your polish:
- Before painting, wash your nails with soap and water, then dry them thoroughly
- Apply one coat of a base coat, making sure to glide your brush past the edge of your nail. Base coat helps your polish color adhere to the nail and protects your nail from potentially getting stained by the pigment, so you're already ahead of the game using one!
- Paint on one to three THIN coats of your polish color, still making sure to paint over the edge of each nail. Thin coats of polish prevent bubbles and extra long drying times. This technique also keeps your polish job silky smooth!
- Apply a top coat to seal your mani (and don't forget to paint past the edge of your nails!)
5. Are all of your ingredients plant-based? Where are they derived from? I have no idea what most of those ingredients actually are!
In our nail polish, aside from the Myrrh extract we use, the balance of our ingredients are not plant-based.
When I created Habit, it was important to me that our polish was non-toxic and helped to improved nail health, but still had the same great performance of a traditional nail polish. In order for our polish to perform as you would expect (like staying on your nails for more than a day), it still has to behave like a paint and be composed of ingredients that help it to mimic paint.
There are some brands out there that have alcohol and water-based formulas, but the polish applies poorly, doesn't stay on your nails, and the color range is limited. So creating Habit products is a balance of removing toxins, but giving you the color you want and the performance that you expect.
6. Is the glitter in your glitter polish made from microplastics?
Yes, the glitter that we use is currently standard polyester plastic glitter, as at this time, we haven’t found anything that can replace it. I've tested biodegradable glitter in our formula and it works very well, but I declined to move forward with it when I discovered that biodegradable glitter performs exactly like standard glitter unless it is disposed of in compost-like conditions, which I don't think is very likely to happen in the context of normal disposal, and would encourage the use of disposable cotton rounds.
The plastic components that we use for our polish are recycled (and I'm proud to say that we're the first and currently only polish brand using these!). So the next step for us would be to create our own glitter from a non-plastic source that could perform on par with standard glitter. As a small brand, we don't currently have the resources to do this; our dreams have always been bigger than what we can currently accomplish!
7. Why is the bamboo cap on your nail polish removable now? Isn't that greenwashing?
We made our bamboo caps removable last year, and we did this for a few different reasons:
- I was getting feedback that our bamboo caps were difficult to paint with
- Up until last year, we were adhering the bamboo caps to the bottles with an eco-friendly epoxy resin by hand. Every single one. This was insanely time-consuming, expensive, and was preventing us from scaling up our production, which contributed to us frequently selling out of our polish and ridiculously long lead-times (the amount of time it takes an order to ship out) because we were very limited in how much we could produce
- After being used for some time, the fixed bamboo caps would end up become misaligned on the bottle. Now that they are removable, they can be repositioned to be straight all the time
- We've always used minimal plastic inner caps. We aren't able to completely eliminate plastic at this point, because it's still the best material to use for brushes, and metal caps are much more expensive, a cost that we would have to pass on to you. But after many years of looking for a factory to work with us on this, we finally found one willing to make them for us from recycled (and recyclable) PP plastic. No one else is making nail polish with recycled plastic components. So I'm proud of them and want to show them off!
I do understand that some of the bamboo caps come off too easily now and don't grip the inner cap, which is why we have a slightly modified cap design coming out later this year that will solve this problem.
You might wonder, why do we still use the bamboo overcaps if they've generated so many problems? Because bamboo is an amazing renewable and biodegradable material that enables us to achieve attractive product design with a sustainable material. And because beautiful design is an equally important goal that contributes to sustainable living in a unique way. We should all be purchasing less, but really loving the items that we do have. The products we buy must be great. And by that I mean: they must work in the ways that we need and expect them to. But to get the maximum enjoyment out of them, they should also look great. And achieving attractive product design doesn't necessarily mean extra expense. It does mean extra attention to detail on the part of the designer.
I want you to get the most value out of our products possible. I want you to be able to leave them on the counter and enjoy the look of them as much as you enjoy our formula and colors on your nails. And if we can achieve that with a sustainable material like bamboo, then we're ahead of the pack.
8. What do we do with your bottles after using the polish? How do we recycle/reuse your packaging?
9. I'm looking for an eco-friendly/ non-toxic nail polish remover to use with my nail polish. Do you happen to have any recommendations?
There are so many great non-toxic polish removers out there, but if you're looking for non-toxic with more eco-friendly packaging, I would recommend the essential oil-based nail polish removers from Exo Supply. They come packaged in glass jars with aluminum lids as opposed to the usual plastic, and they smell amazing!
10. How do I care for my nail polish?
We work hard to make your Habit products look so charming that you can leave them out wherever you practice your getting-ready ritual, and enjoy the look of them even when they're not in use.
For best longevity, keep your makeup in a cool(ish) place. As for your polish, some experts advocate keeping it in the refrigerator. But I keep mine out on my bathroom counter and it keeps just fine :)